Handyman readers share their hilarious home-improvement mishaps.
What happens when DIY goes wrong?
Find out in this article where we list 20 DIY mishaps made by fellow Handyman readers.
These tales of woe are hilarious but also serve as a caution to us all.
When comes to DIY don't take shortcuts and pay attention to detail!
If you have a DIY disaster story be sure to share it with us on our Facebook page.
We'd love to hear from you.
Due to an insurance inspection, I had to finish building our back deck and steps fast.
It was raining, so I cut the timber under cover of the front verandah and carried the pieces into the backyard to install.
Our dachshund, Beavis, was very interested in the excavation and spent the day digging there.
When the last board was in place, he was nowhere to be found.
Then I heard whining under the steps and realised what I’d done. His exploring had led him under the porch.
And removing one board wasn’t enough, I had to take up several and crawl in to fetch him.
The first weekend, we put in the fence posts and the next weekend, we hired a guy with a ute to help haul the preassembled panels from the store to the yard.
He drove the ute into the centre of the yard to save on carrying materials. And finally, after a long day turned into evening, we were admiring the finished job.
We then looked at each other and immediately realised our mistake. We’d fenced in the ute.
So I sprayed the shredding mechanism liberally as it sat on top of the catcher basket.
When I switched it on, I was surprised by a small explosion.
A spark had ignited the accumulated vapours in the enclosed area of the shredder.
After taking a few minutes to calm down, a quick check in the mirror revealed my singed eyebrows and hair.
Next time, I’ll do it outside and let it dry before mounting it on the basket.
And after years of his wife, Lucille, asking him, he decided to fix the cabinet door in the laundry by installing an external latch.
In a hurry as usual, he started drilling the holes for the latch without emptying the cabinet. That’s when he heard a hissing sound coming from inside.
As he opened the door, he was sprayed with black paint from the can he’d punctured. It also hit the floor, the walls and the washer and dryer. Lucille was not happy.
The next day, I went into the bathroom to get to work and stood on a plywood strip.
Having just moved to a new rural residence, my friend needed to install a mailbox near the road.
He bought a 1800mm tall post and mounted the mailbox on one end of the post, then dug a 600mm deep hole, figuring his mailbox would be at the perfect height.
He lifted the post over his head and thrust it into the hole, but with all his calculating, he’d forgotten that the 1800mm would become 1200mm as the post went into the hole.
As a consequence, the protruding mailbox came down on his head.
And although the blow nearly knocked him out, his first instinct was to check if anyone was watching.
Recently, I was working in my garage making moulding for my screen windows.
The garage just happens to be where I store my screens in the winter, right behind my tablesaw.
As I was ripping strips of wood, a small piece jammed and the saw kicked it back fast and furiously.
I was out of harm’s way, but my stack of screens wasn’t so lucky.
The chunk of wood shot through six screens before coming to a stop.
I now have a really big repair project.
After hours of testosterone-enriched planning, I started building my garage man cave.
I installed cabinets with workbenches, storage units, air filtration, a dust collection system, and even a heater.
Because of the low ceiling, I installed recessed lighting so my custom hand-carved garage door would roll up unobstructed.
On the first day of spring, I rolled up my old garage door, as the new one hadn’t arrived, and started working in my new man cave.
After about 15 minutes, I smelled smoke and realised my garage door was smouldering.
I found scorched spots where my recessed lights were burning the door.
I’m just glad my custom door hadn’t been installed.